Friday, January 23, 2015

Cherry Jewelry Box



Here is a cherry jewelry box I just finished. The wood is nice air dried stuff from my Amish friends in Ohio. The joinery consists of dovetails for the carcass, dovetails & shiplaps for the tray, and bridle joints & grooves for the lid. I like to leave the scribe lines in my dovetails but understand that others don’t.  The moldings are simple miters with a nice chamfer. The adhesive for this (and all of my other projects) is hide glue. I like Old Brown Glue from William Patrick Edwards in San Diego. The finish is three coats of Tried & True oil varnish. Each coat is applied then left to dry for a week under a fan. After the first coat is dried it is burnished with 0000 steel wool. Then each additional coat is burnished with a fine linen cloth after drying. I like to heat the oil to 140° before applying nice thin coats with a linen cloth.

All work is done by hand. All of the surfaces are left from the smooth plane.

Photos are by my good friends Joe & Stephanie



















1 comment:

  1. That was the best birthday present ever!

    Thanks,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete