Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Traveling Anarchist's Tool Chest - Part 1



Here's my progress so far on the tool chest. I got a very good deal on some wide Sapele so I decided to go with that. It's starting to become one of my favorite woods. It stays dead flat, saws beautifully, and responds to the chisel very well. The interlocked grain, while a bit difficult to plane, I think will prove to be worth the effort in the long run.

For the most part I lifted the dimensions from Chris Schwarz's tool chest. I tweaked the height slightly by adding two inches. The case is 38" long, 16" tall, and 18" deep. He posted this drawing and I think the dimensions, proportions, and functionality are great.


So far I've gotten the dovetails and pins sawn. Tomorrow I will chop out the baselines of the pin boards and assemble the case. I'm going to tongue and groove the boards for the bottom, so hopefully I can get started on that while the glue dries. I'm going to use hide glue (Old Brown Glue) for every bit of this project.







2 comments: